Friday, August 12, 2005

Inhabitants (Part 2)

Alright! Just finished doing a spot tank cleaning and found out that Orion is a GIRL! Hehe... She's feeling much better after her molt now and back to her active self.

I could not fully clean the tank because Buster and Crumb are both buried. Not sure why Buster has gone back down... but it probably has something to do with the last attempted bath (she will never be bathed again) and the new tank mates.

I was SOO excited to find E's (Ecuadorian) hermit crabs in my area! I'd been calling this one pet store for weeks because they had told me they get shipments of "Tree Crabs" in on Thursdays. They finally arrived and hubbie was kind enough to rush me over the same day and YAY!! They were exactly what I was looking for!!

Igal (who I believe is a male) is not as active as his partner-in-crime but he's a sweetie. He comes out to see me again now finally... last week during the first cleaning I dropped him and that really shook him up! I was so worried about him because he became very shy. Poor little guy. I'm thrilled that he's perking up and I just wish he'd move out of that nasty painted shell he's in so that I can get rid of it. He has this thing about wood. Will not let go of it for nothing and I almost always find him on some bark in the tank somewhere. Needless to say when I clean, I just move him and the bark/wood object he's on into the temporary tank and let him decide when to come off of it. There's no convincing him that he's interested in doing anything he doesn't want to. :)

Susi on the other hand is the complete opposite of Igal. She never hides from anything! My girls were excited when I brought her home because they went up to ISO to see her and she did not duck in her shell. My oldest said, "Mommie! I didn't scare the crab!" They are always looking and pointing out Susi in the tank now. She can be difficult to track because of her constant shell changing! Out of all the crabs she's changed the most. She's not stayed long in any of the shells she picks so I'm counting it as an official 2 shell changes for now. We'll see what she's wearing in the morning. :) She LOVES saltwater because I always find her hanging out near or in the saltwater pool. Maybe it's because of all those shell changes? Hehe... Oh and she's the biggest pig of the pack! Always in a food dish and caught at different times throughout the day. She loves to eat anything I put in there. Should have seen her with Organic Strawberry Apple baby food. Wow! You'd have thought this crab had never eaten before in her life. Hehe...

And that's all there is in the tank for now. I have found that I need to put out extra food dishes so that Orion and Buster get a chance to eat though because Igal and Susi will not get out of the dish sometimes. Goofie crabbies! When we move I'd like to get a 20 Long tank so that I can get some more little friends. For now, I'm done crab shopping and I'm just trying to avoid all the pet stores. EEP! :)(:

No comments: