Thursday, September 08, 2005

Dinner is Served

A few months ago I mixed some hermie food and they LOVE it! I hardly ever have to do more to their food dish then just wipe it out a little to add fresh. You will notice that I purchase a lot of my goodies dehydrated. It is best to purchase fresh and dehydrate yourself... but this is the best I can do with limited time and it's better then the majority of commercial foods avaialble.

Christa's Recipe (partial):
You can see Christa's complete recipe at
    www.hermit-crabs.com
--------------------------------
2 cuttlebones
1/2 Cup non-instant long grain rice (brown is best)
1/4 Cup plain,unflavored non-instant grits
1/2 Cup unflavored rolled oats

My Part of the Recipe:
--------------------------------
1/8 Cup Leafy Greens by Garden Goodies
    containing: dehydrated alfalfa leaves, parsley,
          spinach and celery
2 TBsp Flax Seed
    (Hodgson Mill Milled Flax Seed found at WalMart)

Grind each individual ingredient in a coffee grinder into a fine powder. Add it all to one bowl and mix. SEPARATE out 2 TBsp of this mix and store the rest in a sealed container in the refrigerator. (Flax seed is recommended to be refrigerated.)

Additional Ingredients:
(add to 2 TBsp dry mix separated out)
--------------------------------
4 tsp sun-dried shrimp (fish food product... no additives)
2 tsp Coconut & Raspberries by Kaytee Healthy Toppings
    containing: coconut and dehydrated raspberries
2 tsp Rose Hips by Kaytee Healthy Toppings
    containing: rose hips
2 tsp Carrots & Sweet Potatoes by Kaytee Healthy Toppings
    containing: dehydrated carrots and sweet potatoes
2 tsp Mixed Fruit by Kaytee Healthy Toppings
    containing: raisins, dehydrated apple,
          dried cranberries, dried blueberry

Grind each individual ingredient in a coffee grinder into a fine powder and add to 2 TBsp dry mix separated out.

Next time I mix up my dry mix the Leafy Greens will be an additive like the Healthy Toppings were so that I don't have to worry about that. I'm also still looking for more goodies to add to it all just to keep things different each month for my dry mix.

On top of this I also give some "treats":
They love all kinds of organic baby foods (especially apple/strawberry)! Organic peanut butter on matzo crackers (no salt or additives) is a hit too. I have a coconut to chop up, freeze and make "coco-milk" ice cubes. Frozen fishies called Silver Sides are also very appreciated and kindly dragged about the tank. Hehe...

Also check out the www.epicurenhermit.com safe food list for more ideas and the site also has additional recipes.

No comments: