I've got 14 crabbies now all moved into a 55g tank. We all LOVE it! They are fun to watch (and easier to watch with a shorter tank stand... the DOG even watches the crabbies now). It's easier to care for 1 tank! It's also easier to keep the temp consistent in this 1 tank too. I was worried about that size of it with heating issues, but so far so good.
I lost several of those new Ruggies to PPS (Post Purchse Stress Syndrome). There was nothing I could do for them. They were soooo close to molting and they just wouldn't. I felt horrible for them. The large black one was the first to perish. Just no notice at all for him either. Then I lost one that had already dropped many limbs. Just sat in the saltwater dish for days and died. Then I lost a micro. She really was ready to molt just couldn't seem to do it. It was sad to watch her really. So I have 1 large Ruggie and 2 Micro's now. One micro is from the Ohio trip and one is from a local pet store.
I did get a large E awhile back and I'm proud to announce that Hallmar has molted without any issues!! He's doing great and completely destroying the tank. HEHEE I was so happy to have him molt because he's the largest E I've ever housed and I was concerned about his molt. He is even one of those poor crab in a cup victims from Walmart.
So now I've got as a complete headcount:
3 PP's
8 E's
3 Ruggie's
3 NEWBIES!
And now here's the newbies!!!
We were actually on our way to rescue a Jumbo Purple Pincher (PP). Only we made a stop to pick up some sea salt water first. At the store we stopped to get the water Hubbie spotted STRAWBERRIES!! Big ones! They are bigger then I expect them to be every time I look at them!
Here are some pictures of the new beauties:
Full name is 'Sasquatch'. Hehe... This BIG guy/gal is almost the size of my hand! I just ordered some 2" opening shells for this one. WOW!
Note: 11/16/06 Sassy has been renamed Sandtrap. Wow can she/he dig craters!
Full name is 'Santa Claus'. Quite a bit smaller then Sassy, but still imposing. Very active too.
Note: 11/16/06 OOPS! This was actually Ornament... and Ornament has been renamed Foxhole. She/He is a digger and we rarely see 'em except at night.
Ornament is ready to molt. That's one reason why I purchsed this one. Eyes are ashy and it keeps collecting water in it's shell. Also a busy digger!!
Note: 11/16/06 This pix is Santa Claus and we kept this name. :) This is the busiest strawberry of the tank.
All three of these are HUGE eaters. A shell of food that would last my 55g tank buddies about a day is already cleaned off in this tank! We will need to refill it first thing in the morning. I need to go out and get some great fresh fruit for these guys tomorrow. They also need to get a bigger tank setup already. HEHE I only expected to bring home one crab... not three!
OH and the Jumbo PP we were going for was already dying. He'd lost a limb since the last time I'd seen him even. Wouldn't come out of his shell either. It was very sad to see him that way.
1 comment:
So sorry to hear your E's......... Anyways I better warn you....Strawberries need extra things: Water, salt water, food (yeah right they eat a lot maan...), heat and humidity. I had a lot of problems in Straws too.....
Post a Comment