Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Crabbie Eating Habits - Coloration (Continued)

Did some more poking around. :)

My questions from an earlier blog post were these:

What is a "manchineel (Hippomane mancinella)" plant?
I didn't look for it yet. HEHE That'll be later...

What is a "Cardisoma" crab and how close to a land hermit crab is it related?
This crab is a Blue Land Crab. They are found on coasts but I got a lot of information about them from a Flordia University web site (Blue Land Crab Link). They are "cousins" to the land hermit crab in ways. They eat a lot of mangrove, fruit, berries, vegitation (preferring tender leaves), etc.

What is lau hala (Pandanus tectorius)?
It's common name is screw pine, but it is not a pine plant or in that family. They are part of a monocot family (not sure what that is... hehe...). The flowers are fragarant, the fruit is sweet and the leaves are tough enough to make baskets or mats. It is mostly found in the Micronesian: most islands in the Pacific Ocean (sometimes combined with the Australasian Region). Dried leaves from this plant have been fed to other hermit crabs in captivity without problems. (I do not remember where the source is for that... I just have a written note. Sorry.)

I am still working through the other articles that I had wanted to read from the last post. There is a WEALTH of information on those web sites and I'm enjoying reading them. I wish I had more time. :)

As for my test (feeding coconut, mangrove, fish/shrimp and seaweed at every meal) has been accomplished so far. I have noticed a notable increase in coloring of ALL crabs in the tank but that also could be because of my introduction of some of NarNar's Zeaxanthin/Carotene Hermit Crab Foods too. I can tell you that the coconut, mangrove, fish/shrimp and seaweed are never left alone in the bowl and are usually the first to need replaced.

Original Research Post:
Coloration Changes Food Search

No comments: